Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Old Red Truck

In 1986, I bought this truck in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. I got it from a Dutchman who had used it to travel down from the Mediterranean.  He had put a Peugeot diesel engine in it.

I used the truck for over a year, often sleeping in the back, traveling across Burkina Faso and, once, down into Togo (the right-side windshield fell out, that trip, requiring the passenger to wear goggles).

This picture was taken in the north of Burkina Faso during the rainy season (obviously), just an hour east of Aribinda on the road from Djibo to Dori.

By the time I left, there was little left of the truck. The roads had taken quite a toll on it. Just shortly after I took this, we got stuck in the mud of that road. It took all of us (I think there were five or six) in the truck plus maybe twenty people from a nearby village to get the truck out of the mud and back on solid roadway, even using the tracks that I carried on top.

The tubes on top on each side held water that fed a sink inside. Quite the motor home!

No comments: