Thursday, March 17, 2005

"I am not solitary"

In Nature, Ralph Waldo Emerson writes:


I am not solitary whilst I read and write, though nobody is with me.


Right you are, Ralphie.  Why is it, then, that so many so often put down bloggers as solitary beings cut off from human contact?

Even one of my office mates, a professor of professional writing, refuses to see the bloggers as more than solitary nerds unable to sustain real human contact.  


There's a further passage from Emerson that relates to blogging:


Standing on the bare ground,--my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifed into infinite space,--all mean egotism vanishes.  I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me...


That's what bloggers are at their best.  I hope others come to see it, too.  For this is where the truth is--not in any cliche of cut-off beings on the fringes of society.  

No comments: